Accessories from Upper Room Home Furnishings
How Should I Decorate My Room?
Whether you’re redecorating your living room, dining room, office, kitchen, or master bedroom
there’s one simple color rule that can help make sense of your interior design. Interior
designers use the 60-30-10 rule to design a color palette and disperse it across their
room in a harmonious way. The 60-30-10 rule states that you only need three colors to
give any room a cohesive color palette. 60 percent of your room will be your main color,
which you will use in your wall paint as well as large pieces like an area rug, sofa,
or built-in cabinets. 30 percent of your room will be the secondary color. For the secondary
color, you can use it on draperies or try a piece of accent furniture like an accent chair,
TV stand, or painted accent cabinet.
And finally 10 percent of your room will be your accent color.
This is where you can bring in your signature “pop of color” with decorative accessories like couch
pillows, throw blankets, wall art,
lamps, candle holders,
Upper Room Home Furnishings is the Ottawa, Nepean, Kanata, Orleans, Gatineau area’s best destination for rugs of every shape and size.
We offer round rugs,
and square rugs in popular sizes like
8x10 and 5x7. We also offer large rugs for setting up your formal dining set and
indoor outdoor rugs for your patio. We stock rugs in a broad range of materials
including jute rugs,
wool rugs, leather rugs, and polypropylene rugs. No matter
what design or textural feel you prefer, we can get it for you. Shop Upper Room Home Furnishings
for Persian rugs, shag rugs, oriental rugs, braided rugs, nursery rugs, plush rugs,
and kilim rugs.
Decor Tips for Every Style
A few easy adds can give your home decor a completely different mood. See tips from Upper Room Home Furnishings for how to refresh your space.
- French Country Decor – Add a side table or accent cabinet in a painted finish with a distressed, weathered look.
- Nautical Decor and Coastal Decor – Think unique tabletop accessories like driftwood sculptures, buoys, or rope baskets.
- Rustic Decor – Bring the feel of the rugged outdoors in with a cowhide rug or a faux
leather pouf ottoman with a cow print.
- Farmhouse or Country Decor – For a Vintage look, try a classic hall tree and some wicker or rope
baskets for your entryway.
- Modern Decor – Try a modern table lamp or floor lamp.
Or you can use natural light to brighten your room with a cleverly-positioned wall mirror.
- Cabin Decor – Coffee and end tables with a reclaimed wood or log furniture look will be so cozy next to some real or faux antlers.
- Western and Southwestern Decor – Textiles like sofa pillows and throw blankets are a great way to bring in those geometric patterns in color schemes of terracotta and brown.
- Industrial Decor – For that vintage factory vibe, look for metal pendant lamps with exposed bulbs,
metal wall shelves, and metal wall art.
- Boho Decor – Layering textiles is a must in Boho design. In bright colors or neutrals, you can’t go wrong with
pouf ottomans, throw blankets, throw rugs, and sheepskin rugs.